Sunday, September 11, 2011

Call to Prayer


If the American chain restaurants and sprawling malls have you forgetting your studying in the Middle East – the call to prayer, played over a loudspeaker throughout the city five times a day, is a sure reminder. My relationship with the call to prayer is rather shaky at the moment seeing as its woken me up each morning religiously at 4:30 a.m.

Some would say that this is evidence in prime that religion is still the main driving factor in the social and political life in Jordan. Perhaps true, but I wonder how different is the fact that I grew up pledging “allegiance to the flag….one nation under GOD” or that when I was just in London it was hard to find stores open on Sunday (the holy day in the Christian religion.) Maybe religion still permeates all of our cultures in different ways, yet it is definitely more noticeable for a foreigner to pick up on in Jordan.

For now, at least I’m saving my JD’s on an alarm clock…

No comments:

Post a Comment